Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh the joy of work

So I spend my days working at a residential treatment facility here in Utah. It can be very difficult and yet very satisfying work. When I walk in to go and pick up my girls from their day at school they all come and give me hugs and they all want to tell me about what they did that day. It makes me happy to know that I have made a difference in someone's life when they need it the most. I enjoy seeing how excited they get about little things, like mint oreo cookies. And also when they are getting close to the end of their program and to hear how far they have come and how much they have changed, because that is our entire goal of this place, to help these kids see that they are better and that they can become more than the direction that they were headed in. Life is not easy here, but in the end it is worth it. I especially enjoy seeing kids come out of the places that they were in before coming here. I went to the AA meeting and got to learn a lot out about the kids, where they come from and why they are here. I enjoy talking to some of the girls when they tell me that they don't want to go back to the life that they were living. It gives me hope that these kids will make it when they leave here.
On another note. One of my best friends came to visit this last weekend and we had a blast! I miss my Maggie and it was so good to see her. I took her up to the Olimpic Park in Park City, which I hadn't been to in a long time. We decided that we want to be bobsledders because that would just be so freaking cool. Yeah we are truley kids at heart. I also got to take her to temple square for the first time. It was a very special experience. She is trying to get back active in the church and get her life on track. I was able to feel the spirit very strongly as we talked about the importance of the temple and certain gospel principles. I am so greatful that I got to have that experience with her.
Tonight is going to be another great experience. I get to go to the Jordan Temple for the first time and do a baptism session with a few of the girls. I am excited, it has been too long since I went to the temple and I feel honored that they would ask me to go with them. I am excited to see a new temple that I haven't been to yet. Any ways, I had better go and get ready for work. I am also now going to be an assistant basketball coach for our girls team. It is always something new and exciting.

No comments: